type='text/javascript'/>

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Delivery Story and My 1st Mothers Day

I started this post on May 10.
I am super terrible....

Yesterday,(six weeks ago) was my 1st mothers day. :) It wasn't eventful in anyway but I will always remember it. Dan was amazing and he treated me like a queen. He cleaned the house, made me breakfast, even if it was just a bowl of cereal and some toast. (We haven't gone to the grocery store for a little while) Dinner was brought to us by a sister in the ward.

I cant believe that Virginia is here and has been for two weeks now. I feel she's just on loan to me and I have to give her back anytime now. I love being a mom and LOVE my baby girl. Motherhood is a very special calling god has given to woman, i never believed it till two weeks ago. I never believed i could instantly fall in love with something just by seeing her. She really is beautiful and I love ever second of this experience even if I don't get much sleep right now, I know it will get better.

Delivery day:

Dan and I had to be at the Hospital at 6 in the morning. I was scheduled to have my delivery at 8. We got there and after signing my life away to the doctors and nurses, I was brought into to the prep room. They prepped me and Dan got into his little surgical outfit. He was super hot in it. :) Right before i went in to the OR my doctor, Dr. Phipps, did her last and final exam on me, to make sure Virginia was still breached. During the prepping i was put on two monitors, one to check my contractions and the second to watch babies heart rate. Apparently i was having contractions and they were 3 minutes apart by that moment. I had no idea. I felt some light pressure and my stomach would get hard but it was not painful at all.... crazy. Dr. Phipps said if I wasn't having this C-section I would have delivered her sometime that weekend. I was walked into the OR and sat on the table and was given a spinal tap. It hurt....my anesthesiologist, Mike, started to laugh at me a little cause instead of a yell or being silent like most people I went "owe...that hurt" Then I started to laugh cause my butt instantly was numb. My nurse, Irene, who prepped me said lets get your legs on the table before you can't feel those. I was laughing so hard, it was the funniest feeling ever. She had to lift my right leg on the table cause i couldn't feel it anymore. I was pretty calm and good up until they started to prep me on the table, putting up the curtain, i could tell they were cleaning my stomach...etc. Dan was still not in the room with me and at that point I really was freaking out. Mike tried to help me calm down but it wasn't working. Once Dr. Phipps saw my face, she yelled out, "Get the husband in here" I must have looked super frightened cause Dan came in and I felt tons better. Since the NFL draft was on the night before and Dan and I watched it, he started to talk about that to get my mind off of what was happening to me. Dr. Phipps was great and told Dan and I what exactly she was doing. I will never forget those few sec before i heard Virginia scream... what a rude awakening right? All content and then BAM her life is turned upside down. Dr. Phipps said " I see a butt, a cute little butt and now here she is....." then screaming :) I have healed beautifully, at least that is what my doctor tells me. I never needed to use a narcotic. They gave me one in the Hospital but i hated how it made me feel. After that they only gave me 800mg of Mortin. I'm surprised i never needed anything stronger. I was sent home with a prescription for a narcotic and prescription strength Ibrophan. I only used the Ibrophan and now I am just on over the counter drugs. (Remember all of this was written six weeks ago. By this point in my recovery it was two weeks after my c-section) 

The C-section was super intense and scary for me. The experinece has been a little hard to adjust to. I'm not ready to do it anytime soon. At least with then next one i will know what is coming and not be so scared. I really think i was more scared of the recovery then then the surgery it's self. It was not fun nor was the soreness right after the surgery. The two days in the hospital were awful/good too. I loved my night nurse. She was awesome and i had her both nights in the hospital. The worst part of the stay was when they made me start walking around. That was the worst thing ever!!! EVER ever!!! I was so sore and they made me walk around the unit, who does that?!!! I just wanted to sit in my bed and do nothing but heal. I understand why they do it. I always felt so much better after I walked around a bit. Sore but better sore feeling.

Jumping to now...

Now that it's been 2 months, I can't believe how great i feel. No more sore nothing. It's been wonderful for about a month now. The first week was the worst. The second week got better and going into the third week the soreness just kinda lingered, not getting better nor getting worse. It was not so fun. By the fourth week i only had a small amount of soreness, i only felt it when i was sitting and not doing anything and by the end of that week i felt nothing. I was excited. I can do it again.... but not for a while... i need to kinda forget most of it. :)

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Michelle, I cried during your story (I'm short on sleep, leave me alone) - I love hearing birthing stories, especially how you were feeling throughout. Your c-section experience will benefit people that have to go through that.

    Okay I'm bawling again. holy cow

    ReplyDelete